Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Daffodil (Rosie and Ginger's mum) is spayed!

Today had been a very, very long day for me.

Before 7am this morning, Francis and Mukda rang my doorbell, with Daffodil in tow. We had planned to get Dafffodil (Rosie and Ginger's mum) spayed and yesterday, I told Mukda they would just have to catch her, and I'll do the rest.

Mukda said Daffodil has not been seen carrying her kittens anymore, so they are probably independent by now. It's time to get her spayed, I said. Mukda was just worried that Daffodil might be pregnant again as she (Daffodil) gives birth 4 times a year and since last year, Mukda said they could never get her spayed as she would either be pregnant or is still  nursing her kittens.

 Francis managed to get Daffodil into this small carrier after breakfast at the pavilion.

But Daffodil was VERY scared, so we decided not to transfer her out. Just leave her in there. A smaller space might be a good thing since she was scared. Sweet little Rosie was there to keep mum company too.

Francis and Mukda said after putting Daffodil in the carrier, Rosie and Ginger tried to free their mum. Poor to make them understand that we mean well?

It was barely 7am, and the vets only open at 10am-11am. Gosh, I had many more hours to go...

But all is not lost....All morning, a gallant gentleman (yes, a knight in shining armour) kept Madame Daffodil company....

Who, you ask?

 Yes, it's Mr G!

Mr G has already been neutered and he still comes around almost every day.

All morning, Mr G and Rosie kept Daffodil company.

 And all morning, the inside brood wasn't exactly very happy.

What?? Another alien?? This is too much, they said.

Ginger was keeping vigil too.

And all morning, I felt so bad for having to put Daffodil and her children through this agony, but I kept consoling myself that it is for a greater good. We don't want Daffodil to keep giving birth 4 times a year, do we? With age, comes the risk of pyometra, obstructed labour, etc.  And what about the many litters of kittens? Mukda says she had seen many die on the road.

I rang my regular vet, they were full today, no more surgeries. So I tried our other vet and yes, he was free to do the spaying.

 At 10.45am, we were ready to go.

Rosie and Ginger were there to see mum off.

 Daffodil was totally calm in the car. I was quite amazed. No orchestra? Nope, none.

Madame has class.

I kept talking to Madame and assured her everything will be alright and that she will be brought home in the evening.

 At the clinic, we were greeted by Don Don. He is SO big now, and is the ever-charming host.

Don Don and his 4 siblings were dumped outside my gate last year, in a styrofoam box with no holes and with a rock on the lid, under the hot sun. They survived, and Nandhini helped foster them and rehomed all of them. Don Don was adopted by this clinic - lucky fella.

The vet took one look at Daffodil's dilated pupils and said she was too nervous to be examined. He would put her inside his office and wait for a more opportune time to examine her. I said to please spay only if she is not pregnant. And also to please notch her ear. She had last eaten at 6.30am, so the earliest she could be done would be 2.30pm.

The vet called at 2.30pm and said he had checked her and that she was not pregnant. So the spaying would proceed.

I prayed for a safe surgery and waited as the hands on the clock ticked the hours away.

By 5pm, I called and the vet assistant said Daffodil had woken up and that I could take her home.


 I told Rosie and Ginger I would be going to fetch mum home.

At the clinic, the vet said Daffodil had been very nervous, so right after the surgery, they put her back into the carrier. Yes, that would be the best thing to do as she could recover better inside the small carrier, without too much space to move around.

The moment we got into the car, the rain poured.

Daffodil and I drove home in the thunderstorm. It was madness. But Madame was totally calm. I was impressed.

 I had already set up the cage in the patio. Luckily the whole carrier could go into the cage.

 Mr G was part of the welcoming committee.

I put the carrier inside, then opened the door so that Madame could come out when she is ready.

She did come out, but was flipping violently in the cage, trying to break her way out. Oh dear...there's nothing we could do but to let her settle down by herself.

 She soon calmed down and the food and water were all gone. I doubt the food had been eaten, though. I think it had all spilled out.

 Later, I gave her some wetfood (Natural Balance) and managed to carefully take out the carrier. Was really afraid she would zip out, so everything had to be done slowly and in a non-threatening way.

She was much calmer now.

After an hour...

Yay!! The food has been eaten!!

Madame's children were around to keep vigil for the night.

 Of course being such filial children, they were rewarded with supper.

See the V-notch?

You'll have a happier life now, Daffodil. No more giving birth four times a year.

 The reward.

What about us? 

 Could you please let my mum go?

 All in good time, Rosie. All in good time...

As I was driving Daffodil home from the clinic, it occurred to me that it may be a good idea to put her in Mukda's house as she is familiar with them. Daffodil doesn't know me and might find me a threat to her safety. Mukda says she normally releases the spayed cats after one day, and all of them do very well after that.

But the advantage of putting her in my house is that she would have Rosie and Ginger for company and will not feel so alone. Rosie and Ginger might also miss their mum if she goes "missing" and they might go looking for her.

I hope I made the right decision...

Daffodil's spaying is fully sponsored by Tabs & Associates.


Maneki Neko said...

Blessings to "Tabs & Associates" for their compassionate deed! :-)

cindy said...

YES .. from me too .. blessings to "Tabs & Associates".

melle said...

Tabs & Associate - :)