Friday, August 10, 2012

Anaemia in cats - looking for Erythropoietin for Baggy

I found this site: http://www.floppycats.com/anemia-in-cats.html
Also, if you happen to let your cat outdoors, you might notice an odd behavior of licking rain water or melted snow. They are craving minerals if they are anemic, and try to acquire such minerals from those sources.

This explains why Baggy was licking the spade, the soil, and today, she only wanted to drink water from the tiles and not from a container. Maybe she thought it was rain water.

I'm trying to get the drug Erythropoietin or Eprex. If you know of any vet who has it, please let me know. Thanks!

3 comments:

cindy said...

I called my vet and they do not have the two medicines you are looking for. But I will check around tomorrow for other vets.

While we are looking for medicines, and blood transfusion is out, try give her chopped chicken livers to supplement her needs? I normally cooked for my cats. Some of my cats are crazy if I give them raw-chopped lever. (I am anemic myself so it is a "family" food once or twice a month). Cats love them.

chankahyein said...

Thanks, Cindy. But you're in the Netherlands, so shipping will be difficult and time-consuming. Let me try the vets over here first. I'm giving her AD and Hi-Vite, plus also cooked liver, in small amounts.

Joy E. Saga said...

Yes, i agree with Cindy, some liver into her diet would be good. Will pray for Baggy to get better.