Toad toxicity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?
This morning, I saw a tiny one again when I let Raven out to play in the garden.
You see that speck on the tiles?
That's a tiny toad.
Apparently, according to the youtube link above, they secrete a poison from their skin as a defense mechanism when they are frightened. Dogs and cats have been known to be afflicted with toad poisoning due to this. It says what we must do is to rinse the mouth of the animal with water and take the animal to the vet's. I think by the time I saw Bosco salivating, it must have happened many hours already as he did not feel like eating breakfast in the morning but I only detected the salivation at noon.
So tiny, yet so toxic. But the one I saw was much bigger, about one-third of the size of my palm.
I had to shoo this one away as Raven and Rosie were in the porch.
Still, it is only a conjecture. Bosco could have been afflicted with a severe sudden, acute infection as he had very high fever. That is the puzzling part. Sigh...we would never know, so the important thing is to move on more carefully now.
Back into the house, Raven.