Saturday, April 3, 2010

Xiao Li and Teddybear adopted

It would have to come sooner or later...the adoption of Xiao Li and Teddybear. Some time last week, Xiao Li and Teddybear had started going out to the porch, and I knew it was time for them to go to their new home where it would be safer than my linked house which faces a dangerous road outside.


It was so sad to part...but it has to be done. I have no other choice.  My house just isn't safe anymore for two curious kittens who will eventually venture out onto the road. There are several fast drivers on my road and my neighbourhood isn't exactly a cat-friendly one too.

So, this afternoon, I drove Xiao Li and Teddybear to their new home, the home of Eugene.  Eugene has so graciously offered to take care of Xiao Li and Teddybear despite their fungal problem which isn't exactly completely healed yet (but is on the road to recovery). Eugene will continue with the ACV treatment. 


During the short ride, Teddybear was quiet but Xiao Li kept sticking her paw out of the carrier to touch my hand.  I talked to both of them throughout the journey.  It was very heart-breaking for me.  And I knew that perhaps fostering just isn't my cup of tea.  I worry about so many things - will they understand why I have to send them away?  Will they be sad and lonely?  While I know that the adopter will look after them well, I worry about how Xiao Li and Teddybear will cope with the new changes and a new environment.  But I am glad Eugene was willing to take both of them together.  That, is already a great bonus for me.  At least they will still be together and can have each other for comfort and company.  It makes a big difference when you have to adjust to a new environment and you have a friend. 


I bought a big pack of Royal Canin Kitten 36 for them, as well as their Vetri DMG. I hugged them both before I left, and explained (for the umpteenth time) why they had to go to a new home.


Shortly after I left them with Eugene, he text to say they were already playing hide and seek with each other in his house.  I have also given him my litter box so that they would have something familiar from home.


I sometimes wonder if it's fair for us to foster animals for too long (it's not that we want to foster for so long, but it isn't easy to find good adopters).  While we humans say we will learn to let go and that it is for the greater good, but what about the animals?  The animals also develops an attachment to us.  And there is no way we can explain to the animals why they have to go to a new home, or why we have to send them away.  After being with us for so long, the animals develop confidence and trust in us, and suddenly, they are sent away and they have to adjust to a new environment all over again.  This change can be very stressful for them.

Xiao Li and Teddybear, shortly after Bandit's rehoming.

The best of friends.  My consolation is they will be together in their new home.

Have a happy life, Xiao Li and Teddybear!



Some photos taken at Eugene's:

Teddybear, already creating a new game with a plastic spoon.

Exploring their new home.  The more things you have around your house, the more stimulation it is for them to create games to play.



1 comment:

myQza said...

semoga mereka berdua selesa di rumah baru.. :)