This was my greatest fear - that we are only left with the option of performing the third eye lid flap operation as a last ditch effort to save Cow's eye.
About the operation: https://www.vetstream.com/felis/Content/Technique/teq00055
We do not know what his chances are at recovery and can only hope for the best. It is a surgery whereby the third eye lid is pulled over to cover the eye and the eye is stitched up so that the blood vessels from this third eye lid can nourish his eye and heal the ulcer.
The fluorescein staining showed that the ulcer has gone deeper and bigger.
We brought Cow back this evening after the surgery.
The area around the eye has been shaven and it is still very swollen right now. He is on oral antibiotics and painkillers and would still need eyedrops to be administered through a tiny hole in the corner of the eye.
Eating is a problem as he finds it hard to adjust to the e-collar so I have to hold his bowl up for him. But it's good that he still has appetite and finished 3/4 can of Monge just now.
This is going to be a very challenging three weeks for all of us in nursing Cow and hoping that this last ditch effort to save his eye will work. I have also begun treatment for my own illness so that makes it even more challenging.
All the cats were very concerned when Cow came back this evening. They gathered around and touched noses with him.
Please get well soon, Cow. If you could kindly spare a prayer for Cow, all of us thank you very much in advance.
For the record, Cow got into a fight with Indy in early December which led to a blood clot in his eye due to being scratched. A corneal ulcer developed later and it did not heal with eye medication.