Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The power of thoughts

I thought (!) these came most appropriately in light of my experience today. I hope you find them useful too.
We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far. 
  – Swami Vivekananda

See things as you would have them be instead of as they are.
- Robert Collier

This brings to mind something I've learnt in life which has got me through many adversities - Prepare for the worst but work for the best. I remember throughout my schooldays, in every examination, I would be prepared to fail even though deep down I know I've done my best and my best couldn't possibly be THAT bad. That way, I would never be disappointed or shocked even if I did badly. Because I was already prepared for the worst.

Little did I know that this little philosophy which I had developed for myself pulled me through many, many adversities in life later on, even life-threatening ones. Long stories...

We are often told to think positively, which is sound advice, but I think it also helps to be realistic and to PREPARE for the worst. It's not thinking about the worst, it's PREPARING for the worst but working for the best. And once at the back of our minds, we have prepared for the worst possible scenario, we think positively, act positively and WORK for the best to happen.

No comments: