Saturday, January 9, 2010

Sean is discharged, and....

After coming back from HUKM, I phoned Dr Edmund, and was told that Tara is responding to the treatment while Sean, our 007, can already be discharged. 

Now, where can I put Sean for fostering so that he has at least another 2 weeks of proper care?

Since Tara still has to be at the clinic for at least another week, I called my mum and asked if she could foster Sean during this period.  Mum said she definitely wants Tara to come home, but doesn't mind fostering Sean until then. 

So, off I went to Puchong.  This time, I thought I'd try the road Ainey taught me. 

Horrors of horrors, I got absolutely and totally lost in Puchong and thought I would never be able to find my way to Dr Edmund's when I took a sudden turning and voila...would you believe it?  I recognised the Haier building and there was the clinic, right there.  I don't know where I was, but the important thing is that I actually found the clinic, approaching from a totally different direction.  And it was 15 minutes to closing time....

Divine guidance? 

Must be.

After checking everything with Dr Edmund, collecting Sean's oral medications, buying him a pack of kibbles, and a quick hello to Tara, Sean was all set to go to mum's house.


Tara, still with the e-collar and still on drips.
Get well soon, Tara.  I'll be taking you home next.


The clinic assistants and Dr Edmund's father helped me recline the back seat of the MyVi (my daughter's car) and the cage fitted right in.  Perfect, we're all set to go now.

The ride from Puchong to Bukit Rimau was quite long, especially with the traffic jam.  Barely ten minutes into the ride, Sean decided to poo in the cage!  Oh well, never mind, I'm quite used to that already.  Otherwise, the journey was alright, with Sean and me listening to Natalie Cole belting out oldies.  I drove very slowly as I did not want Sean to get car-sick.  In certain stretches, the road was extremely bumpy.

We reached Bukit Rimau and Sean was initially reluctant to come out of the cage.  None of us (me, mum and dad) were strong enough to carry the cage out of the car, so I had to carry Sean out first. 


We put Sean on a leash with dad while mum and I cleaned the cage.  We then let Sean have a free run of the driveway and he felt perfectly at home.  "I've lived here all my life", he seemed to say.   

 
Something was wrong with the cage, so dad had to get his toolbox out to fix it.  While this was going on, Sean busied himself around us, trying his best to "help".


We spent some time with Sean on the driveway, letting him get used to the place.  Here's Sean with dad.  Both mum and dad took an instant liking to Sean and mum said if I cannot find any adopter for Sean, and provided he did not fight with Tara, maybe Sean could stay on. 

Hooray!   


Can I stay, please, please, please?

While we weren't looking, Sean even went upstairs!  But the moment I noticed he was on the landing, he scuttled down, as though he knew he wasn't supposed to go up.

Mum said poor Sean had been boarding in clinics (three, actually) for three weeks now, so we should let him run free for now, around the porch and driveway. 


Then my husband and son, Jia-Wen, arrived and Sean said hello.


Of course when we all went upstairs, guess who went up too?


I'll make myself comfortable, thanks. 


This is where you guys eat, is it?


And that's the bedroom, I presume?


Er...I can't go in?  Why not?


"Sit, Sean..." mum said, and Sean sat.

Jia-Wen, my husband and mum went out to buy dinner back and Sean went downstairs with them.  He was put back into the cage while they drove out.  Sean made a really pitiful whining sound as the car drove off. 

We had our dinner and there was no noise from downstairs. 

Then, mum gave Sean some rice mixed with soup, and he polished everything up.  Before that, he also polished off the kibbles.  It is pure joy feeding Sean. 


As we came down the stairs, Sean was waiting at the door...
Aww...

So, Sean will be staying with mum and dad for the time being until Tara returns. 

Then, if Sean behaves and doesn't fight with Tara, mum says he can stay.

Let's hope Sean behaves!


You be good now, Sean. 


Note:  Sean and Tara both have distemper.  While Sean seems to be very perky now, and he was, even throughout the last 3 weeks while he was supposedly "down" with distemper, we can only hope and pray that this indicates that he has a strong immune system.  I am well aware that a relapse of distemper can occur within the next few months.  But what matters is not "what will happen then?" but what is happening NOW.  Sean is happy now, and each day that he is alive and well, and cheerful is a great blessing for us.  After all, life is not permanent, we only have moments.  If each moment can be filled with joy and wellbeing, we ought to be very grateful.  And when death comes (and it will), we carry these joyful memories with us, on to our next existence.  
  

1 comment:

Karmen said...

This is lovely news. Fingers crossed Sean will get along with Tara. It is very kind of your parents to look after him and let him roam freely in the house. Thanks again for the wonderful updates! I love reading your blogs.