Thursday, August 12, 2010

Bunny has FLUTD

It is really one thing after another for poor Bunny.  Just as when we were about to rejoice that he had not sneezed the whole of yesterday, something else cropped up.  


He came into my room yesterday and squatted to urinate.  I was surprised because he does not normally do this at all (urinating in the room).  But I think he did it to show me that he was straining to urinate and that something was wrong.  And within the hour, he showed me two more times - once in the kitchen sink and another time on the toilet bowl.  


I consulted the vet today, and he said it is something serious and should not be taken lightly at all because if the bladder is blocked, it could be a fatal condition.  


So, I rushed Bunny to the vet's and thankfully, his bladder is not blocked.  A urine test was done and everything is quite normal except for the presence of blood and excess white blood cells.  


Bunny has FLUTD and is now put on four types of medication - the antibiotic Baytril, Glucosamine and steroids for 3 days (to be replaced by a papase enzyme after that).  The vet suspects that the infection may not have healed completely with the first course of Baytril, so we need to carry on for a longer period.  


I have to monitor his condition for the next few days and hope there is some improvement.


The vet says Bunny's FLUTD has nothing to do with the flu at all.  It is something totally separate.    


Poor Bunny....one thing after another.  


The rest of the cats are sneezing a little less now, so I hope that's a good sign that the flu is tailing off.  


Bunny eating after the trip to the vet's.

No comments: